Crazy for English!!

Thursday, June 29, 2006

For teacher trainees

Last week, Mr.M who's JHS teacher came to our class and tell us some information to teach in JHS. I am going to introduce some of them.

Before tell you his talk, I say some MY opinion for teaching in JHS. I have done teaching practice and went some volunteer tutor: it is a activity what university student go to JHS or elementary school and help teachers as volunteer. I felt something for teach in there.

1) Remember praising
2) Always smiling
3) Make classes with cmmunication

Here can be said all of JHS subject's class. These lead student more active and enjoyable.

Mr.M said these three, too. I can feel these in real in teaching practice. These are one of the most important method of classes. Especially, I felt importance of communication. You may tend to depend on your class schedule, and then can't see the students. Mr.M also said,"English is practical subject." It means English is different subject from math and so on. You should mind there are student.

For this, Mr.M showed us some of the patarn of group activity. "Jigsow learning" is one of them. In class, there are groups it consist of 4~6 people. Teacher gives a different number(1,2,3,4,...) for student in each groups. And then, the student who has the same number from each groups gather and make new group. Next, the teacher gives defferent questions for each groups. Finally, the students go back to original group and tell and think own group's question.

He shows us how to interest to students. These are very important and effective. You should try, I think.

4 Comments:

  • Hi, I agree that English is a practical subject. I am an ALT in Iwate, and I enjoyed reading your comments on the lecture by Mr. M.

    I think some older teachers of English dont have practical experience with English (they dont update their skills) and try to teach English like a subject like Math or Science. English is always changing and is alive!! It needs to be used and practiced. I wish you good luck and I hope you have fun teaching English in the future.

    By Blogger 13 Weeks, at 9:12 PM  

  • Hi, thank you for your comment!

    I was impressed by your comment "English is always changing and is alive".
    We Japanese can't often feel the changing, so I'd like you ALT to help to us feel the changing.
    I'm glad to hear your opinion.

    By Blogger Elle, at 6:07 PM  

  • Hello. I'm an ALT in Iwate prefecture. I would like to add something to your post regarding teaching methods for English teachers. And that is to involve the ALT as much as possible during the lesson. By doing so, the students can hear native speakers, get to speak with them, and learn about them. Also, the ALT is kept busy, which, believe me, is a good thing. And most importantly, using the ALT takes a load off of the teacher, so he or she can sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee. No, just kidding about that last part!
    But seriously--a message to all current and future English teachers--use your ALT's!

    By Blogger Steve Jang, at 3:06 PM  

  • Hello, Mr. jang and thank you for your comment.
    I think so very much, too! I believe that the class of English need some experiences. Communicating with ALT is one of them and very important, I think. Because ALT is real speaker. Students can't hear real English so much.
    I forgot to think using ALT, so your comment is very good for me! Thank you very much!

    By Blogger Elle, at 4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home