Crazy for English!!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Thinking about THE MOST DIFFICULT GRAMMATICAL ITEMS IN JHS

I think Relative Pronouns is one of the most difficult in JHS English classes.

When I was a cramming school teacher and teach English, many JHS students mistook relative pronouns questions. Many of them mistook the order off the words. And then, I want to teach them with follow ways.

At first, when I teach relative pronouns "who" I'll use this sentence.


"The man who is sitting on the bench is my father."


1. Many of student may be troubled with the subject because there are two "is". So first, I'll show only the sentence "The man is my father" and the picture which is drawn men.

2. Read the sentence with students and make a question "Which man?" Student answer and I write the sentence "My father is sitting on the bench."

3. I make a question "How should we explain who my father is in a sentence?" and practice in Japanese sentence. "ベンチに座っている男性が私のお父さんです" will be make up.

4. I write the sentence "The man who is sitting on the bench is my father." This is sum of these two sentenses, so students can understand easily.

5. After explain this sentense, practice. There is the picture which drawn many men, so students explain who is them friend, cousin and uncle to next person in this way.



That's my plan,

2 Comments:

  • Your plan is very logical. I can see why you are a math major!

    By Blogger JH, at 2:29 PM  

  • Thank you, jh!
    I want to not only a math teacher but also English teacher. These days I find that thinking how to teach English is very interesting!

    By Blogger Elle, at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home